Installing fence posts is a great way to save time and money. It also means that you don’t have to worry about your fence being knocked over by the wind or rain because it will be anchored well in the ground! In this article, we’ll walk through how to install these posts so you can get started building your own backyard oasis.
The fence, enclosing the territory of a private house, gives the owner a sense of reliability and security. Materials for the fence are selected according to taste preferences, but in any case, support posts are required for its construction.
First, you need to find out how to install fence posts, what variants and functions they have.
Wooden poles are very popular because they allow you to perform installation work without assistants.
Methods of wood protection
Craftsmen offer the following ways to protect wood: The lower part of the column must be set on fire. When it is charred and still hot, it should be soaked in resin. Thus, the tree is completely saturated and acquires protective properties. A more modern analog of resin is a mixture of bitumen and diesel fuel.
The most effective of all the above methods of protection is one in which a wooden fence post is attached to an anchor or crutch. In this case, the support avoids contact with the ground and therefore lasts much longer.
Metal fence posts are in demand among professional builders for their durability, reliability, and ease of installation. In addition, you can attach any parts to it by welding and create a diverse design accordingly. Both square and round tubes can be used. However, they must be treated with an anti-corrosion agent before installation.
Fastening options for metal posts:
The fence post is driven into the ground with a guide inside. This method of installation requires a partner, since the
- The verticality of the tube must be carefully controlled during the driving process.
- It is necessary to drill a small hole in the ground, then install a post in it and carefully tamp the ground. This option is suitable for light fences.
- Installing metal fence posts can be difficult if you don’t have the right tools. A gas powered post driver is a great way to save yourself some time and effort when installing your new fencing!
Screw posts, which are not afraid of lifting complex soil, greatly facilitate the installation of metal columns.
Fence supports made of brick have high strength and reliability indicators, and also look very beautiful. However, during installation must comply with certain conditions:
- Since brick posts are heavy, their construction requires a solid foundation.
- To protect the masonry from the effects of precipitation and give the post a complete look, it must be equipped with a cap of metal or concrete.
To build a brick column, a metal column is used as an axis.
Concrete columns are used for the construction of large and heavy fences. However, they are rarely used in private construction, as their cost is very high, along with delivery.
If the developer throws these posts independently for the fence, they justify all the efforts and costs, and at the same time are very durable. The main thing is to follow the production technology.
The rules described below apply to the installation of columns, regardless of the manufacturing material:
- Before proceeding with the installation process, mark the extreme supports, draw a thick thread between them and mark the top point. If necessary, also mark the middle and bottom of the future fence.
- Measure the distance between the posts and determine the position of the other supports based on the size of the material from which the fence is built. Drive the posts to the designated places. The optimal distance between the supports is 1.5-2 meters.
- In height support posts for the fence should exceed the height of the future structure by a few centimeters.
- For the reliability of the fence in non-rocky, sandy, or rocky soil, the post should be buried in the ground to a depth of ½ the height of the fence.
- If you are dealing with undulating soil, the post should be above freezing with additional drainage.
- To make the post as reliable as possible, its lower end can be extended with a cross, profile, or other device based on the material of the beam.
- In the places of future columns is necessary to dig a hole of the required size, set the support strictly vertical, and pour concrete in the hole.
These are all the basic rules that will help you avoid mistakes when installing poles of different materials for the manufacture of a fence.